Saturday, July 7, 2012

Breakfast Skillet Concoction Of Sorts

So I saw this posted on Pintrest and it looked pretty easy so I had to try it. Famous last words huh? Just kidding, this is so easy it would be hard to screw up... besides I think I am a pretty good cook and Dan did most of the work anyway.

The original recipe calls for 4 eggs, 2 cups of milk, 2-4 cups of shredded cheese, a pound of bacon, bulk breakfast sausage, or diced ham, and tater tots. You basically layer it and bake it in the oven for 45 min. Well, recently my son melted a handheld plastic cutting board in my oven so we haven't been able to use it for quite some time. We did attempt by heating it up this morning but the kitchen filled with smoke and it smelled all plasticy so I didn't think it was a good plan to bake food in there. Especially since the little boys had a sleep over last night and we were feeding someone else's child. So we improvised a bit. I also tweaked the recipe.I thought the egg to milk ratio didn't seem right.

My recipe:

8 eggs + 2 cups of milk beaten together
American cheese slices
tater tots
1 lb of bacon

We cooked the bacon first, then we precooked (browned slightly) a single layer of tater tots (in the leftover bacon grease because we are begging for heart attacks here) in a pretty large and deep skillet that has a lid. I don't know what type of skillet it is, I just know that it is big and deep and it has a lid. After the tots were browned a little we poured the egg mixture over them. Added the cooked bacon, crumbled up into big chunks and then topped it all off with the cheese slices. Don't know how many we used, just enough to cover  everything.

Here's what it looked like so far:


Then we covered it with the lid and reduced the heat to medium low and let cook until the egg mixture was set.. maybe 25-30 minutes? I don't know, I forgot to time it. We checked it periodically til it was done.

And this was what we got:


The kids liked it and didn't die so I guess that's a win! Seriously though, it was pretty good and we could do so much more with it like adding diced bell pepper and onion with ham instead of bacon.


No comments:

Post a Comment